Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jack's Orthopedic Appointment


For all of you who have ever seen Jack walk, you have probably noticed that he is very bow-legged. At his 12 and 15month appointment, his pediatrician assured me that this was normal and he would grow out of it by the time he was 4 years old. However, being the obsessed/worried mom that I am, I have continued to think about it. In fact, I thought that it was getting worse and his feet were also beginning to go inward.

With the suggestion of my good friend Erin, I took him to see a pediatric orthopedist yesterday. Apparently, Jack has tibial torsion and intoeing. This means he is not bow-legged. His calves and feet are just turned inward due to his positioning during pregnancy. As Jon put it, it's my fault. Ha, ha, ha. Anyway, he reassured me that there would be significant improvement by the time Jack is 3-4 years old, and it should be almost completely resolved by the time he is 8-10 years old. They also did a x-ray of his hips, and all is well.

By the way, Jack was very cooperative with the whole exam. Thanks to Erin for the suggestion. This mom has one less thing to worry about.

4 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Amanda, I LOVE your blog. It is great!!!. Keep up the good work!

Mindy said...

I just wanted to let everyone know that Jack is laughing at his Aunt Mindy in this picture. I love my nephew!

Melody said...

Glad you feel better after having taken him to the ortho. He's so adorable!!! Tell Jon that it is his fault b/c he wouldn't get you Mrs. Curls when you wanted it. The first time we met - you were pregnant and wanted Mrs. Curls after we ate dinner at Red Lobster. Jon-E wouldn't get it for you!

Melissa said...

Luke has the exact same thing! One foot of his turns in more than the other. We were also reassured that it would get better the more he walked, but it never really has. It hasn't got any worse though, either. Our ped also said it was due to his positioning in utero. Glad everything turned out all right for little Jack! Love the blog! Keep it up!